If you are arriving in Ireland and starting employment here for the first time you must apply for a Personal Public Service (PPS) number with the Department of Social Protection by either:   Completing Form REG 1 (Application for PPS No.) and sending it to us with a copy of your current valid passport / national identity card or your birth certificate together with evidence of your Irish residency and recent work history. We will then forward this documentation to the Social Welfare office for you and arrange your PPS number.   Calling in person to […]

Proper Company Secretarial Records

A company is required under the Companies Acts 1963 to 2012 to maintain the following: Register of Members Register of Directors and Secretaries Register of Directors’ and Secretary’s Interests Register of Debenture Holders  Minute Books   It is the responsibility of the Directors of a company to ensure compliance with all provisions of the Companies Acts, 1963 to 2012. We recommend that the Directors of a company carry out a health check on the Company Registers and Minute Books of a company annually to ensure that the Statutory Registers and Minute Books are up-to-date and compliant […]

Frequently Asked Questions – Sole Trade

Over the last number of months we have received numerous questions by email and blog comment. Below are a selection of the most popular questions relating to setting up a business as a sole trader.   Can I register as a sole trade and continue to work in my current job? Yes. You can register as a sole trade using Form TR1 and continue to work in your current employment. Once registered as a sole trader you are required to submit a tax return by the end of October each year which will include all your income, from […]

More Frequently Asked Questions

Since my last Frequently Asked Questions post , I’ve kept a record of the types of questions I get asked regularly, either as comments or by email. Here are some of the more popular queries over the last 5 months. .. . . . . . Q. Can a sole trader register a company name? If so, are accounts required to be sent to the Companies Office? A. There has been quite a lot of confusion about this. A sole trader and a company are two separate types of legal entity. A Sole Trader is someone […]

Frequently Asked Questions

Since starting the blog I’ve received numerous queries by email as well as those posted in the comments section. For some queries, it was necessary to reply by email to request more information and to protect the privacy of the person asking the question. As suggested by Sean’s comment, I’ve compiled a list of the most popular questions and their answers. . Q. I’m setting up as a sole trader (office based service business). What can I deduct from my income to my tax calculations? Meals at work? Travel costs? A. You can deduct any expense wholly and […]